Frequently Asked Questions

Call the Law Office of
John F. Prentice
(925) 941-6222

John F. Prentice Law Office

Mediation is an increasingly popular alternative dispute resolution (ADR) process that is permitted by the California courts. Mediation is a process in which parties in a claim or a lawsuit attempt to resolve their differences with the help of a  neutral mediator. An attorney may also represent you throughout this process to facilitate a resolution.

John F. Prentice earned his Advanced Mediation Credentials in 2007.

 What can I do if I am wrongfully terminated? Most attorneys who represent clients in wrongful termination cases agree that more employees are being terminated now than ever before. If you are one of the unfortunate people that find themselves terminated without cause, with little savings and no immediate income or job in sight, you are at a crossroads in your life. Many people that are "fired" believe that the circumstances surrounding their termination are unjustified. What action can you take? The truth is that Employment Law Cases are frequently complex not just for the employee but also for the lawyers who are asked to analyze the circumstances leading up to the termination and advise clients of their legal rights. The complexity of Employment Law Cases result from the applicable laws in these cases which are found in both State and Federal statutes, from Appellate case law, contract law, anti-discrimination statutes, wage and hour laws, the Labor Code, the Civil Code, the Penal Code, the Business and Professions Code, the Health and Safety Code, the Administrative Code, Worker's Compensation laws, and the US Constitution and the State Constitution.

An employment lawyer must understand the very fabric of our laws to properly advise and represent clients who have claims and disputes with their employers. THE BOTTOM LINE IS, if you believe you are being adversely treated, being set up for termination, or have been terminated, SEE A LAWYER IMMEDIATELY! Most lawyers will meet with a client initially with little or no charge for the first consultation.


What happens when a divorce petition is filed? When a divorce petition is filed the Court has discretion to make temporary orders regarding spousal and child support, custody, visitation, division of assets, virtually all aspects associated with the assets, liabilities, and rights of both the wife and the husband. A dissolution may be finalized six months after the non-filing spouse is served, with a final judgment being issued by the Court addressing all issues in the case.

What do I do if my spouse or partner abuses me? Any person in a personal relationship may seek a restraining order from the court if they have been subjected to abuse. These orders are frequently referred to as protective orders. A person may also seek a restraining order for a violation of the protective order, which may subject the assaulting party to criminal charges. Reports of assault should be reported to the applicable police agency.


The information contained in this website is issued and provided as an information service to clients and the public. The information is general in nature and must not be relied on as legal advice regarding a specific factual issue that you may have. Please consult an attorney to address your individual concerns.